Monday, March 12, 2012

A Cosmic Inspiration



H
appily, I can already check off one of my 2012 goals -- namely, to sell more science fiction.  February saw the acceptance of a story from former F&SF editor and anthologist John Joseph Adams for his online SF magazine, Lightspeed. The story in question is a high-tech crime story spanning many alternate Earths, and involving the unwitting help of an iconic 20th century actor. Earlier this month, John also sent a reprint contract for the same story to appear in his upcoming anthology Other Worlds Than These, due this fall.


In another happy coincidence, I’ve been re-watching the late astronomer and author Carl Sagan’s landmark science mini-series, COSMOS.  My family and I watched it when it premiered back in 1980 on PBS, and I’ve got the big hardback somewhere.  I’ve been an avid reader of science fiction since the age of ten, and Sagan’s books and COSMOS made a big impression.  Sagan’s curiosity about the origins of the universe and our place in it, conveyed with a layman’s touch and poetic enthusiasm regarding the vastness of the universe and the wonders of inner space, epitomize the “sense of wonder” that always attracted me to science fiction, particularly the works of Bradbury, Tevis, Simak, Bester and many, many others.  Carl Sagan’s son, Nick, now a screenwriter, mentioned on Twitter that COSMOS is being resurrected on Fox as a new science mini-series -- something to look forward to!

But while I wait impatiently for season two of the BBC’s Sherlock to hit American airwaves I’ve been busy with other stories (and the novel that’s taking too long to complete).

“The Brave Little Cockroach Goes to Mars” will appear in April in ROCKET SCIENCE from UK writer and anthologist Ian Sales.  Check out the other contributors of fiction and nonfiction here:


I recently did a modest expansion of “The Girl and the Guardian,” a story slated for Eugene Johnson’s APPALACHIAN UNDEAD from The Zombie Feed Press.  I haven’t seen the TOC yet but have heard there are going to be some big names appearing, along with talented up-and-coming folks, which is exciting.  And I was tremendously excited to land a story with John Skipp for his next huge anthology project for Black Dog and Leventhal, PSYCHOS: ENCOUNTERS WITH SERIAL KILLERS AND THE CRIMINALLY INSANE.  “Serenity Now” will appear in September, and according to Skipp, the TOC is stellar.

"Jesus When The Sun Goes Down" is available on Amazont in the Kindle version of BEST NEW WEREWOLF TALES (it's an original and not a reprint; bless Carolina Smart for including it in a book already bursting with classic stories).  "The Boys in Company Z" is out in the Kindle edition of ZOMBIE KONG.  Both trade paperbacks coming soon.

Lately I’ve been reading the stories and novels of Weston Ochse (pronounce “oaks,” Arizona writer married to writer Yvonne Navarro), and the short fiction of Joe Hill and David Nickel, whose sophomore novel is coming soon from ChiZine.

Great stuff.

At the end of the month Angie and I are flying to Salt Lake City to attend World Horror Con and a special Bram Stoker banquet.  I cannot wait to see old friends and make new ones.

This moment to blog has been brought to you by “The Bachelor: Season Finale.”  Thanks, Ben.

-- Simon

BEST NEW WEREWOLF TALES:

ZOMBIE KONG Anthology:

1 comment:

  1. Hey... I was at WHC too! Which means... we may have actually met! I was a bit flummoxed by all those blue eyed blond kids in SLC. Children of the Damned time...

    ReplyDelete